Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you had a wonderful day with your family. I made homemade cinnamon rolls for the first time--THEY came out wonderfully.
Moses decided to try & help with the cooking:
Steve was on call from 8am to 12pm. And sure enough, he got a call at 11am. And not an easy, in and out call, but one where he had to call in a 2nd tech, and didn't get home until 5pm. We missed Thanksgiving dinner at my uncle's house. We showed up with some dessert, and hung out for about an hour and a half. Now we're back home. My mom has to work tonight--Toys R Us opens at midnight, so she has to be in at 11pm. So she's sleeping on our couch, instead of going all the way home. I don't mind, but it means we're all stranded upstairs so that we don't disturb her. Ah well.
I'm trying to remember to be grateful that Steve DOES have a job, but it's frustrating after 6 years of being late (or almost late) for holiday dinners. Next year, we're having dinner at HOME. No matter what. That way, my kids will get a turkey dinner, instead of leftovers, and Steve will be able to relax if he does have to work, instead of having to go out. And if people want to see us, I will bake delicous desserts and they can come visit.
Completely forgot to mention the other half of my title--the recipes that bombed. I decided to make a Butternut Squash Applesauce bread recipe that I got out of the newspaper. Made it TWICE. And both times it sunk in the middle. The first time I read the recipe wrong and added too much milk. The second time I read it right, and it still didn't come out correctly. Aughh! I hate wasting ingredients!
Then I decided to make pumpkin fudge. The gals over on the FIAR boards have been raving about it for years. Finally decided to try it. Maybe I wrote it down wrong, but it was more spicey (pumpkin pie spice) than sweet and fudgy. Maybe I did it wrong, but none of us liked it. :(
Then I thought I'd make an Apple Butter Pie that I saw on baking bites . com. Same consistency as a pumpkin pie (which I don't like) but with the flavor of apple butter, which I do like! My aunt ate a piece yesterday, and I ate one, and I don't think either of us was impressed. The rest will end up in the garbage. Sigh. It looked nice, though.
I did make a trifle, which was a hit, like it always is. I think I'll do more recipe testing before Christmas!
Oh, had to add this pic of Eli, talking to my sister on the phone. He is getting to be such a handsome young man!
I'm sorry! We have been through those on-call holidays and they STINK! I hope your Christmas goes off without a hitch!
ReplyDeleteJen (in OK)