Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Online friends

Often when describing people that we know, we'll differentiate between those we know "online" and those we know "IRL" (in real life). Well, last week, once again, those worlds collided.

For about 9 years now (?) I've belonged to the message boards run by the creators of the curriculum 'Five in a Row.' A kinder, more loving, compassionate, encouraging group of ladies would be hard to find. I've made so many "online" friends there....it is such a close-knit community of women.

Last week, when I was traveling to Georgia and back home, not only was I able to meet a couple of these ladies for the first time, but two of them opened their homes to me. I was (am) blown away by their hospitality and willingness to let an "online friend" stay in their homes.

On the way down (after spending a few hours sleeping in a Wal-Mart parking lot--my choice!!), my friend, Jen, invited me to her home. I mean, hey, I only showed up about 8 hours earlier than expected. :)

After a shower & a nap, we met my dear friend, Hollie, for lunch. It was a two-fer--my first time meeting Hollie in person (I had met Jen in Boston 2 years previously on my birthday!) and the first time I went to a Chick-Fil-A.

Here's me & Jen:
















And here's me & Hollie:
















On the way home, I ended up going through Fayetteville, NC, where my dad's cousin, Yvonne, lives. She and her husband, Ted, were gracious enough to buy me dinner before I got back on the road. It was great getting to catch up with them!














As I sped my way up Route 95, I called Jen, another "online friend" who I hadn't met in person, but who had told me that she lived off of 95. I practically begged her to let me stay at her house, which she graciously did, with only a few hours notice! She and her husband were more than welcoming to this weary traveler!

















It just reinforced my belief that these online friendships, while we might not see each other in person often, are more than REAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)