Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Is it too late to get the winter blahs?

I know, I know--spring officially arrived almost a month ago.  Try telling Mother Nature that!  Here in Rhode Island, we're still having chilly, 40 degree days, instead of lovely, 65 degree days.  And it's starting to get to me!  I want to wear short sleeves!  I want to drive with our windows open--not the heat on!  I want the kids to be able to play outside without mittens (or conversely, without coming in with hands red from the cold because they DIDN'T grab mittens!).  I want the lilac bush outside my kitchen window to bloom!

I go to visit my sister in TX in less than a month.  At the beginning of the year, I wrote of my goal to lose some weight before I visited her.  It's not happening!  I keep going up and down the same 4 lbs.  I don't want to eat cold salad and yogurt--it's too chilly!  Give me thick stew and sweet oatmeal!  And I want to stay in my warm bed, not get up and exercise!  So I stay in bed later, and by the time I'm up, and our day is started (don't get me started on how inconsistent schooling has been!), exercise goes out the window, because in addition to not feeling like I have time to, it seems awfully frivilous to take an hour doing something for ME when there is so much to be done for the FAMILY.

Today is Dh's day off.  It is 11:28, and I haven't exercised or had breakfast.  I got out of bed at 8:30, and have been helping my kids with their schoolwork ever since.  My work schedule has led to the increased use of workbooks--but my kids don't work independently very well. It's a constant chorus of "I need help" coming from 3 different directions. 

The girls are all through with their math, phonics & such.  Eli is still working on his math.  He has 3 more pages to do--we'll be here at least another hour.  My husband is home (doing dishes at the moment, bless him!), but since I help Eli regularly, I know the "language" that his math uses to describe things, while dh would be trying to explain things differently, and Eli gets confused.  So here I am, trying to keep Eli on track (concentration is such a huge issue here!), while the day passes.

Dh took Maddie shooting at the range last week, and we ended up having a tiff about it.  Because I spent the day running errands, doing work for my business, going grocery shopping...  My point to him wasn't that I was upset that he got to do something fun with one of the kids, but that I never get to do that.  Never get to just say, "Hey, this is something I really enjoy--I think I'll take 3-4 hours and just enjoy it!".  My responsibilities come first and seem to be never-ending.  And goodness know, Steve works SO hard--he really deserves a break.  And my working so hard--part of it is my choice to work my business to the best of my ability, so there's always SOMEthing to do!  The business, the kids, the house...I know my friends understand.

So, is this an issue of me needing to learn to take time off?  Get up earlier? Re-prioritize?  Combination of the above?  If I'm lucky, warmer weather will just make me feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)