One thing we've been finding is a bug....well, several bugs. We've been calling them water bugs, because we usually see them near water. But after trapping one and googling it, we discovered that we actually have been killing house centipedes.

Totally creepy, incredibly fast, but apparently a beneficial pest to have around, as they eat other pests like spiders and cockroaches. Sounds good, eh? Here's a downside--they can live THREE to SEVEN YEARS! Yikes! That's longer than the guinea pig lived! *moment of silence for Charlie* And these suckers can get big! There was a huge one on the living room ceiling the other day--thank goodness Steve hadn't left for work yet. I'm getting the willies just thinking about it!
We finally started school. We usually start at the beginning of August, but obviously, the move interfered with that. We're still waiting for our order from Rainbow Resource, but are doing what we can. And when school starts, we all know it won't be too long before LIFE starts to get in the way of book work.
Today we had a homeschool chapter meeting that lasted 2.5 hours (leader had a touch of trouble keeping on the agenda...sigh). Then we raced home for a quick bite to eat. Then we were off to the girls' home ec class. Last spring the group started making a quilt (we were unable to help with that), and we're now hand-quilting the top.
A mouse had decided that under my stove was a good place to go to die. To say that Steve and I were grossed out would be a huge understatement. "Mickey" has been disposed of, the floor has been scoured, and the kitchen no longer reeks.
And that is how the first week of school has gone. Hey, you didn't expect me to blog about science and history, did you?
Actually, I think you DID blog about science. Ewwwwwwwwww...........
ReplyDeleteThe quilting looks fun though!
I always knew you had the best pets but really!!!
ReplyDeleteLOL, Amanda-I can always count on you to make me laugh!
ReplyDeleteDid you move again? I'm behind on blogging, so I may have missed that.
I love reading your blog! Holly
I just nominated you for a blog award! Go to www.goodfruity.blogspot.com for details!
ReplyDeleteJen
Ugh! We used to have rats in our shed, (we live in a somewhat rural area), and it was as big as that one. Glad you found it and got rid of it! Have a good day!
ReplyDeleteYou Make Me Smile Award!! Come get it! Holly
ReplyDeleteApples of Gold sent me your way and I thought I would just say hello.I also must compliment you on keeping your ROUS well nourished. Look at the SIZE of that big guy-he certainly did not succomb because of starvation.
ReplyDeleteI hope you feel settled in soon.
Kathi
Hi Kathi! Rodents of Unusual Size--Iove it! See, I was too squeemish to even be witty about it! LOL
ReplyDeleteWe also share a home with house centipedes. <sigh> They are harmless but ugly and I'd rather not have them here. They like cool damp places and evidently are more active in the spring and fall.
ReplyDelete