Sunday, August 16, 2009

Washington County Fair

Ever since I was a little girl, living in Richmond, going to the fair was a big deal.  Of course, back then, we would go through the woods and get in free (shhhh!), but it's still a tradition that I love, and I love bringing the kids.

--

This year was great.  A bit difficult because of Patience's knee brace.  We met friends there on Friday--ride the rides from 12-6pm for $20.  I went on rides I haven't gone on in 20 years.  :)

 --

Patience really only ended up being able to go on about 4 rides, but I did snap this pic of her and Eli while we were on the Ferris Wheel.




View from up high






After those few rides, and trying to hobble around, Patience was done.  It was extremely hot, her brace made her leg even hotter, it was impossible to go to the bathroom with it on (in a little fair bathroom stall)....we threw in the towel.  I called my mom & she had my dad come pick up Patience.  Did I mention that I have the best parents in the world?  They let her hang out, gave her dinner, iced her knee...they rock.

Before the got her, we snapped a pic of all 5 kids.



Once Patience was safely ensconced at mem & pep's, we could go on some bigger rides.  I got to ride with Jaycee on the Zipper.  I have fond memories of going on the same (I'm sure, exactly the same) ride with my sister years and years ago. 



I could only manage it once this time, though.  Tine and I would go on it over and over again.  The fast rides, and the ones that spin or flip, give me a headache, and then THAT's what makes me get nauseous.

Now, the giant slide, that's more my speed. :)  My friend, Kim, got pictures of me going down, but I haven't gotten those from her yet.  Here is my favorite picture--Maddie dropped her burlap sack, so Jaycee jumped on hers and caught up to the sack and grabbed it!



The kids went on this at least 3 times in a row. :)

Going up the stairs...




Ready, set...



GO!  Wheeeee!




Let's go again!





The kids went on a spinny ride that would have done me in.



After a few more rides, we were more than ready to get out of the sun--it was so hot!  We headed through the 4-H barn, checked out some displays, and then went to get dinner.

Maddie enjoyed a corn dog, Eli had fair french fries, and I had a pulled-pork sandwich.  Sooo good.  We also had some Del's Lemonade.  Then we headed to check out the animals.



This little goat was so cute!





THEN, it was time for pie and the horse pull!  The pie was soooo good.




Raking the dirt



It finally cooled off while we were watching.  It was a really fun day spent with great friends.





We picked Patience up from my parents' and headed home.  She actually fell asleep on the way home. :)

2 comments:

  1. keep rubbing it in about the awesome granparents! Salt on my wound!


    btw- out of seven years in Rhode Island, I never heard/nor went to this fair. If you had told me about it, I might have stayed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had, within my reach, a way of making you stay, and I didn't know about it??????

    I'm devastated.

    But since you did go, and desert me, I shall have to regale you with tales of grandparent-awesomeness...maybe if you come back they'll adopt you.

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)