Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Fair wrap-up!

The Washington County Fair was last month. This was a weird year--we didn't get to go as a family. Eli had to work, Patience wasn't feeling well, Steve was exhausted...you get the picture.  

But I got to go twice, and that's all that matters. LOL Just kidding.  

Maddie and I went down the Monday before the fair to drop off our arts & crafts entries. I brought 3 cross-stitches that I did years ago, but had never entered in the fair, so they were eligible.  Maddie brought a whole bunch of knitted and crocheted items.

Friday night was the first time we were able to get there. Eli & Maddie came with me.  We got down there around 4pm (ish), and went with my Mom & Dad.  No rides this year--we didn't go on a bracelet day.  Oh well. 

We saw so many people that we knew. That's half the fun of the fair!  So between chatting and visiting, we honestly didn't even see a lot of the exhibits.

I did manage to snag one of these.


Honestly? It wasn't that good.  But I was trying to stay a little Paleo, and this (along with some sweet potato fries), was one of the better options. Of course, pie & ice cream was a given later on. :)

We snagged seats with some friends and watched the horse pull. Amazing how much weight these animals can pull!


I was so excited to run into my friend, Faith!  I haven't seen her in AGES.


Here's me & my baby girl, looking in different directions. :)


A shot of the Ferris Wheel as we left for the night. 


I was so glad to be going back the next day so that I could walk around and actually see things!

I was super excited about Saturday, because Phil Vassar was playing two concerts. I've loved Phil's music for years, so this was a treat!

We got there nice & early to stake out our seats.


Del's is a RI tradition, but I don't usually buy them. I ALWAYS get one at the fair, though.


We had great seats for the show, but we were in the full sun for almost the whole time.  WHEW--it was warm out.
Phil put on a great show, although his crowd banter was limited to, "How you doing?!!" and "Thank you!"  You'd think after 20+ years of performing, he'd have come up with a bit more.





Maddie, taking in the show


Then it was on to see the rest of the fair.  We went through all of the animal exhibits. 

This bunny looked so soft. (NO Petting!)


This baby bunny was beyond adorable.  If they could have promised me that it would stay that size, I would have been out buying one the next day. SO cute!


I entered the raffle to win this calf, um, I mean the $200 alternate prize.  They never called. I guess I didn't win!


The baby pigs are always fun to see.


Wait a minute...what is that baby pig doing?


BAD baby pig!  Inappropriate baby pig!!!
(We were laughing so hard.)


Next up was the goat & sheep shed.

These twins were adorable.


This little girl found the perfect spot for an afternoon nap.


Diet be damned. This waffle on a stick was MINE.  And nothing like I expected, since it was actually called a "chocolate covered waffle."  It tasted just like a Ring Ding.  I almost got a second one, but reined myself in. :)


We grabbed dinner, and relaxed in our lawn chairs.  


The 2nd show didn't start until 9pm.  We were tired, but had waited that long, so figured we'd push through.


Maddie's friend, Bethany, always works the 4-H pizza booth, so she hung out with us during her break. Seeing she and her family at the fair is tradition!


Phil rocked another set.  He has written so many hits, and quite a few that other artists have recorded. It was fun to hear him sing those songs.  He also did a bunch of cover songs, which was great. He's a brilliant pianist, and closed both shows with Billy Joel's 'Piano Man.'


We finally got home around 11:30.  You know you've had a good time at the fair when there's literally a dust line on your leg. :)


This was me & Maddie, waiting for the evening concert. :)


Maddie and I went BACK to the fair Sunday evening to pick up our fair entries.  She won $33, and I won $11. Not bad at all! Plus, we were in line with friends who were also picking up items, so we got to visit for about an hour.

Can't wait for next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)