Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Holy Undomesticated Livestock, Batman!

I grew up in the country.  And because we don't live in the "big city", I try to kid myself that my kids aren't completely ignorant about country life.  Oh, how wrong I was... 

  

Today, we had the pleasure of visiting a friend of mine who lives on 17 acres in rural Connecticut.  As we left the highway, the roads became shaded with trees.  We passed a few farms, with the old olfactory senses telling us that cows were around.  So we were on the lookout for animals.  Any kind would do! 

  

"A horse!" I would shout, and three heads would swivel to the right.  "Cows", a kids would yell, and all three heads would swivel to the left.  There wasn't a lot lot more than that, but we were having fun. 

  

One farm that we passed obviously (to me, but oh so not obvious to my daughter, as you will see) had a wooded area where the cows were allowed to graze.  And seeing how it was as hot as the face of the sun and incredibly humid, these intelligent bovine were taking advantage of the shade that the trees afforded.  

  

I was about to say, "Look, cows!", when my daughter Maddie yelled, "WILD COWS!!!!!"  "What, where???"   I almost went off the road, I was laughing so hard.  My son explained to her that there had been a fence, it was just hard to see. 

  

I just thought I should warn y'all, that if you're walking in the woods in Connecticut, watch out for those roaming herds of wild cows! 

 (They didn't have any cows on here---I hope these other ferocious animals do the trick!)

1 comment:

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)