I am, for the most part, so thrilled with how our school year is starting! We "officially" started on August 21st, although we've been counting school days (educational stuff) since June 1st.
For science (which I have never, ever, ever been consistent with by any stretch of the imagination) we are using Jeannie Fulbright's Exploring Creation with Astronomy, along with lessons plans from Living Books Curriculum.
We are actually (and honestly, this should make you sit down with a thud in amazement and shock) doing the activities that go with this! We made a balloon model of the solar system last week, and today (hence the title of this post) we melted chocolate with a magnifying glass!
My kids have never had the pleasure of burning things with a magnifying glass. Call me a bad mom if you must. Anyway, we headed outside to see exactly why you should never look directly at the sun (that is what this lesson was demonstrating), and after a few false starts, we were good to go. Once the kids had the hang of it, I had to go inside to get some things together (errands to run).
Maddie tends to be my worry-wart--she was all concerned that we were going to, I don't know, burn the town down. So, while I was inside, she got a cup of water--just in case.
Her brother had some serious smoke coming up from the piece of chocolate, which was more charring than melting. Maddie got worried, and doused the plate that the chocolate was on.
Eli & Patience were very upset--wet things do not burn so well, but Maddie justified her actions by saying, "There was a lot of smoke!". I'll give you three guesses as to who I will leave in charge should we ever leave them home alone...
This is hilarious!! Nice to have a cautious one in the family. I have another friend who is doing the apologia science right now and loving it. We will eventually use it too. It sounds fantastic!
ReplyDelete