Monday, September 11, 2006

Wheel of Fortune

*Big money, Big Money!!!!* 
  
Do these words bring back childhood (or current) memories?  Well, then, here's a story for you! 
  
Growing up, we were a family that loved game shows.  My grandmother watched them all the time (along with soap operas, but that's a different memory!), my mom loved them, and my sister and I did, too! 
  
Every night, we'd do the dinner dishes, and then gather around the tv to watch Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy. 
  
One night, the final round of Wheel of Fortune came up.  The contestant did a lousy job picking letters (this was before they automatically picked R, S, T, L, N & E for you!), and nothing came up. 
  
The category was person.  Five letters in the first word, five letters in the second word.  My mom walked over, looked at the tv and said two words that will go down in Duclos family history--"Roger Moore". 
  
She got it!!!  My mom, I mean, not the poor shlub on the game show.  My sister and I went crazy!  "Mom," we said, "You should go on Wheel of Fortune!!  You would win!!!".  
  
Fast forward about 25 years: this coming Saturday, Wheel of Fortune will be holding try-outs at the local mall.  And my mom will be there, vying for her spot at the big wheel.  And telling everyone how she guessed "Roger Moore" with no letters showing.

1 comment:

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)