Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Fourteen years ago today...

I went out with the man of my dreams for the first time!  *I wonder what ever happened to him?* Just kidding!  It was, of course, my fantastic, wonderful, handsome, loving husband! 
  
Steve and I had been friends for a while.  Not friends-friends, but kind of friends.  And I had a huge crush on him.  Not a crush that prevented me from dating other guys, because, you see, Steve is 8 1/2 years older than me, and I really didn't think I had a shot with him. 
  
I've known him since I was 14 (yes, he was 22)--we attended the same church.  When I was 15, I helped him at VBS (doing games with all of the kiddies)--I actually have a picture of us together--ah, '80's hair!



  
When I was 17, I moved in with my aunt, so that I'd be closer to the college I was attending.  Steve lived in the same town, so I asked if he'd mind giving me a ride to church every week.  And so our quasi-friendship grew.  
  
The fall after I turned 18, I had just broken up with a not-so-great-of-a-choice boyfriend, and I asked God's forgiveness for being so rebellious, and told Him that I just wanted to focus on Him for a while.  No boys. 
  
The next day Steve asked me if I wanted to go to the RI Philharmonic with him the next weekend.  "Just as friends."  Yeah, right! 
  
I never for one moment doubted that I was supposed to marry Steve.  I knew that I would, from that exact moment.  It took Steve a bit longer to catch on, but we were engaged on our 6-month anniversary.  
  
We've been married for almost 12 1/2 years now, but I can still remember how excited I was when he asked, ever so casually, if I wanted to go to the Philharmonic.  I played it so cool, even when he added, "You know, just as friends."  "Yeah, sure, " I said, holding it together long enough to get into the house, where I jumped up and down and screamed like the teenager I was.  I was so excited, I even called my DAD! LOL  I asked him to guess who had asked me out, and he did!  I didn't need any further confirmation. 
  
Life hasn't always been easy, but through it all, I know I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be--with Steve.  He is an awesome husband, and my best friend.  He swears to this day that October 24th, 1992 wasn't a "date", but will admit that my legs did look nice under the mini-skirt I wore (hey, I was on a mission!LOL)
  
And the rest, as they say, is history!

5 comments:


  1. Amanda! I LOVED reading the story of you and Steve! How precious and touching.


    I love ya,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun story! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just pulled your blog up at random...What a great story! Thanks for sharing this with all of us bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun story! Funny how things work out sometimes. :-)


    Wende

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing "how we met" stories: ) When I met my husband I, also had decided to quit focusing on "boys" and keep my eyes fixed on God. Funny how that was when God chose to bring the right person along! We have been married 13 1/2 years now. There have been tough times but we've remained friends above all else and that has made all the difference for us.

    Happy (first date) Anniversary, sort of.

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)