Saturday, November 17, 2007

Ah, breakfast...could I have some guilt with that?

Now I know that this title implies that perhaps I have some guilt about not providing a hearty breakfast for my kids every day, but I'll blog about that another day!

Today is about the cat.

Cassie is 5 and a half years old, and when we moved to this new apartment, she became an outdoor cat.  Sure, she yowls a lot and pads at the door (she is declawed), but she has never tried to come in the house.  She prowls the neighborhood, and leaves us lots of dead mice as presents.  But she doesn't actually come in the house.

Until today.  Today is by far the chilliest morning we've had, and when Steve got home from his part-time, third shift job at Toys R Us, she ran right in with him.

I know that plenty of cats live outdoors all year round.  But this will be Cassie's first year living outdoors all year long.  I'm worried that she'll be too cold.  I feel guilty for not letting her in.  Would she be better off in a shelter?  Or with another family?  Am I mean, mean pet owner?

(For the uninformed, Cassie has issues with sharing a litter box, and there just isn't room for 2 in this apartment.)

My guilt is such that I am now buying canned cat food for her (we've never done this), and heating it up for her on cold mornings.  Oh, that sounds so pathetic. *wince*

And that, my friends, is my cold side of guilt this chilly Saturday morning.  Feel free to offer any stories of pet ownership that you may think I'll find helpful.

2 comments:

  1. we had this cat, one time, and my dad drop kicked him off the front porch. and another time, my mom let him loose in a parking lot to try to get rid of him. in the end, the cat won. he lived with us til he died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? That's fascinating! Was this cat's name, by any chance, Rusty?


    YOU NEED TO SIGN YOUR COMMENTS, you crazy sister of mine!

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)