Eli and I had the opportunity last week to visit the Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology at Brown University.
Eli loves reading about ancient history, so it seemed like it would be a good fit.
Here he is, standing in front of a display of Persian pottery.
There ended up being quite a few younger kids on the field trip--we think Eli was the oldest. Some of the activities were geared toward younger children, but Eli was a sport and participated in everything.
The field trip was run by 5 grad students--their enthusiasm for their work was evident. After listening to an overview of what archaeologists do, the kids were split into groups, and learned how archaeologists determine what the objects are that they find.
Each group had a paper bag with 2 items in it--one old, and one new. They had to determine what material the objects were made of, what possible uses the objects would have, and so forth.
Then one student from each group had to go to the front and tell everyone their findings. Eli spoke for his group, and did a great job! (One of the other moms actually complimented him--I'm so proud of him, because public speaking isn't easy for him! He's growing up so fast!)
Then the kids split into two groups. Eli's group went into a room to learn about stratigraphy--dating objects based on the layer of dirt or soil that they're found in.
This was simply demonstrated by hiding objects in layers of clothes, and determining which objects would belong to the same time period.
Next, the group moved into the hall to learn about conducting archaeological surveys. They learned about how the surveys are done, and how the archaeologists decide where to dig once they've surveyed the land. This was mapped out on the floor with rocks and candy (and no, I didn't steal any--LOL).
Then it was on to an actual dig! Well, digging into bins, that is. The students paired up, and had to carefully sift through the dirt and gravel, and map what they found.
I told Eli to say "I love archaeology!" but he wouldn't. LOL
All of the kids hard at work.
Eek! An animal skull! :)
Despite the rain, having to drive into the city (I'm such a wimp), AND having to go move my car in the middle of the program so that I wouldn't get a parking ticket, I'm so glad we went! ;)




You are not a wimp. You drove to GA alone and drive everywhere...I on the other hand thought it was an adventure to drive to Attleboro this week. LOL
ReplyDeleteLOL Okay, I'll concede that point to you. :)
ReplyDelete