My friend, Karen, and I have been encouraging each other on our weight-loss journeys, so when she told me about the "Stick with it Saturday" posts over at Sam's Noggin, it was a no-brainer to join in.
My struggle with my weight isn't anything new. I had 4 babies in 5 years (1995-2000), and really didn't lose weight in between. I just started each pregnancy at a higher weight. Sigh. But in 2001, I used the Weight Watchers program to drop 50 lbs in 6 months. I wasn't going to meetings, but my aunt had gotten me the materials.
I felt fabulous! I was thinner than I had been at my wedding, albeit with a baby pooch of a stomach. Size 10 jeans were comfortable, not even snug. I was thrilled.
And so I relaxed. Didn't exercise every day. Stopped counting my food points.
Big mistake.
Over the last 11 years, my weight has gone up and down. I've never lost as much as I did in 2001. Never even come close to getting back into that size (with vanity sizing, we're probably talking today's size 8).
Almost exactly 2 years ago, I was at my highest non-pregnancy weight. I was horrified. Don't get me wrong--I have a very healthy self-esteem. My husband thinks I'm a goddess. Jesus created me in a fearful and wonderful way--but I was SO uncomfortable. I lived in sweatpants. I hated dressing up. Something had to change.
And so, in May 2010, I started Prevention Magazine's Flat Belly Diet. Let me tell you--it works! I lost 30 lbs. in about 5 months, and was feeling wonderful. And then, due mostly to relaxing a bit, not counting every calorie, not exercising as much....I plateaued for oh, 15 months. Seriously. I think I lost 60 lbs in 2011, because it was the same 5 pounds, over and over. And then 2012 hit. And, I don't know--I think I was just tired of being on a diet. (I know, I know, it's a life-style change, yada yada---the fact is, to get to the point where you're maintaining--you're on a DIET.) And between January and April, I gained about 6 pounds.
Only 6 pounds. No biggie. Right?
Not right. Those six pounds felt like forty. I felt swollen. Again, something had to change.
I'd been considering the new Weight Watchers Points Plus program--my best friend has been following it, and doing amazing (she's a shadow of her former self & looks incredible). I liked the idea of being able to eat as many fruits and vegetables as I wanted, and they wouldn't 'cost' me anything. There's something discouraging about making a huge salad, or having a giant bowl of steamed veggies, and having to COUNT those calories. ?? Hello?? I'm making the GOOD choice? Why am I being punished for that?? Because let me tell you, at the end of the day, if I have 100 calories left, and I have to count them no matter what I eat---I'm going for the cookie, not the apple.
Last week, I took the plunge. My best friend's mom gave me some current WW materials, and I started up. I was curious, though--how would counting WW points, but eating whatever fruits and veggies I wanted, stack up against the straight calorie counting I had been doing?
I've been using www.myfitnesspal.com for a couple of months to track calories. So, last week, I continued using that, and writing down my WW points. Wow! Before WW, I was struggling to stay at or below 1600 calories per day (what FBD recommends). Last week? I averaged 1380 calories per day, and I don't think I was hungry once. I ate more fruits and veggies than I have in a month, and it was great!
I've lost 5 of those 6 pounds that I had gained. One more pound, and I'll be back to the 30 lbs. lost point. Then--well, fact is, I still have to lose at least 25 lbs. But I feel renewed. I feel like I have this brand new outlook, and I'm feeling so positive about it now. It's not going to happen overnight, but I'm moving in the right direction now.
| Easter 2012--Getting there! |
Are you looking for some encouragement? Head on over to Sam's Noggin, and check it out!

Thanks so much for joining in! I am here to tell you that maintaining is just as hard/harder than the actual loss. I get pompous about my weight-eat too many desserts and then-bam-I feel like crud.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of not counting veggies and fruits...I am sticking to 1400 calories a day here (counting veggies and fruit).