Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Mom's Apple Crisp

I'm always trying new recipes, especially for baked goods.

When it comes to apple crisp, though, I don't mess around.  I stick with my mom's recipe.  It needs no tweaking, no fancying up, no modifications.

It is the perfect blend of tender, cinnamony apples and crispy, sugary crumb topping.

The kids and I went apple picking last week & I finally got around to making apple crisp.

The tools are simple--a peeler, an apple wedger, and a paring knife (for when the wedger doesn't get quite all of the...seed pods? What are those things called anyway?). I could have used my apple peeler/corer/slicer, but I like my apple crisp apples chunky.



Ahhh. I used a blend of Cortland, Granny Smith, Macintosh, and Gala.  There actually might have been a couple of other varieties in there--we had fun at the orchard.


The apples were huge. :)  And yes, that's the farm we went to listed on the bag.


This is my "write-in" cookbook--where I keep my favorite recipes, including those passed down from Mom.


See? Here it is!  The first entry in the desserts section. :)


All that you put on the apples is cinnamon and salt.  Save the sugar for the topping.


Oh yum.  I love this recipe.


Apples in my stoneware 9x13 baker.  This pan is a workhorse.  I make everything in it.


The topping is just flour, butter and sugar.  I mostly melt the butter, than crumble it all up with a fork.


Over the top it goes...


And voila!  40 minutes later, perfect apple crisp.


We'll have this tonight smothered with ice cream or whipped topping. I'm drooling already!

What's that? You can't read the photo & you need the recipe typed out?  Fine. :)

butter your pan.  preheat your oven to 350*.

peel, slice, chop, dice your apples...whatever you want to do.  cut up enough to fill your pan.

toss the apples with cinnamon & salt (I used about 2 t of each.), and pour them into the pan.

measure out 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of white sugar.

soften 1/3 cup of butter, then mix it into the flour & sugar. sprinkle it on top of the apples.

(Confession: I double the topping recipe.  It's too delicious.)

pop into the oven for 40 minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)