It's awful to admit this, but it's true. Just take it off the calendar!
My first reason is simply because it is a painful day. My sweet Abigail died 2 hours after she was born (10.5 years ago), and I miss her on Mother's Day. As blessed as I am with my other 3 children, it is hard to not think about Abigail.
My next reason is a lot more selfish. One of my love languages is gifts. Cards, presents--I love to give them and it makes me feel so special to receive them. And every year on Mother's Day, I am disappointed. Gifts and cards are just not a priority for my husband.
He is a wonderful man, and I know that there are women out there who receive diamonds for gifts, who would kill to have a husband like mine. He loves me so much, and thinks I am just gorgeous no matter what. I feel like a jerk even feeling disappointed.
The kids made me a paper butterfly and a card. I love that they all worked together to make it for me.
I didn't even get a card from dh. He had to work at my parents' house today, so he didn't come to church with us. I took the kids to McD's for lunch (I was NOT cooking on Mother's Day!), and then hung out here at home. Around 5:15, we left to meet dh and my parents at a restaurant for dinner. Dh was 30 minutes late (he had to go to a friend's home to help fix her sink). Once we were home, we put the kids to bed, and he laid down on the couch (I was doing some Pampered Chef computer work). He didn't offer to do dishes or anything like that (which, in my eyes, is a wonderful gift!). It's like today wasn't special at all.
I wish I could stop having any expectations about this day (or my birthday, or our anniversary, or Christmas, etc....). I'm always disappointed.
Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. I so appreciated it. Getting back to your post...Gifts were the primary way that my parents showed love and I've had a hard time with my practical and frugal hubbie. I have received jumper cables as a gift, when I expected jewlery. I have spoken about jewlery so much that once my husband actually tried ~ and showed up with the ugliest costume jewlery I'd ever seen (and he was proud of himself!). I once asked for Boyd's Bear collectibles for Valentines's Day (thinking it would be easy for him to do than jewlery) and he got me the ugliest, cheapest bear statue (not a Boyds!) that had a piece of toast in its hand that said "I love You." My husband is a wonderful man too!! I think of how people in my extended family get these beautiful jewels but have no joy in their marriages, and we have the better deal. It helps me to remember that Jesus is LAVISH with me and will never scimp on His gifts and on the extravagant love he wants to pour out on us. Sorry for my long post here :)
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Michele