Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Home Sweet Home!

We're baaackk!  Steve & I flew home Monday afternoon and gathered all of our chicks.  It's good to be together again.  It's good to be together again, AT HOME. 
  
I probably haven't mentioned this, but I am such a homebody!  I love going away, but only for about 3 days.  After that, I'm just dying to get home. Especially if I don't have my kids with me.  Which is ironic, because within 2 hours of getting home, they start doing normal kid things, and bug me.  SIGH. 
  
The cruise:  traveling on the plane was fine (first time Steve & I have flown anywhere together).  Getting onto the ship was no problem (I had been worried because we don't have passports--we just used our birth certificates).  Pampered Chef was nice and quick about getting us on the shuttles with our luggage. 
  
We were on the Enchantment of the Seas.  HUGE.  Our room had a balcony!! I found out later that not all of the PC achievers got a balcony--it was based on the amount of the points you earned.  I'm so happy I did--I think the balcony was my favorite thing!  Just hanging out, watching the ocean roll by.... 
  
We met a bunch of really nice couples.  People from Oregon, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey......it was nice to have company at dinner, because Steve isn't too chatty during meal-times! LOL 
  
The shows were fantastic!  We missed the first show (Sooo late, and we were sooo tired from traveling...), but the next night they had a sampling of singing/dancing from musicals and Broadway shows.  Fabulous.  Saturday night was a comedy duo, Bert and Howie...they were a scream.  I was laughing so hard.  They were jugglers, but so hysterical.  Sunday evening was the "farewell" show...not as impressive.  A comic named "Levent" headlined (there were some funny things, but nowhere as funny as Bert & Howie), with a song by the singers/dancers to close it out. 
  
Key West was beautiful, but hot!  We didn't get the excursions we wanted at either of the ports, but ended up pretty happy.  On Key West, we took a trolley/train tour of Old Town.  Very interesting!  And you got to sit down! LOL  Then we went shopping on Duval St. (That's where Jimmy Buffet's Marguaritaville Bar is!) 
  
Playa del Carmen wasn't as nice as I expected.  It was very touristy.  It's possible that I only think that because we didn't go very far inland.  The snorkeling that we wanted to do was, again, already full.  So we just walked down a few streets (wall-to-wall shops and very aggressive--in a salesman type of way--vendors).  That got old pretty quick, so we went to the beach!  Only $10 to rent chairs, table & umbrella, and we got to lie out.  And go swimming in the Gulf of Mexico! (very salty, compared to the Atlantic, in our humble opinion!).  We couldn't get over how blue the water was!  Gorgeous.  Steve says this was his favorite part of the cruise. 
  
Sunday was our day at sea.  The food was fabulous for the entire trip.  The employees on the ship (both Pampered Chef's and the cruise line's) were helpful and friendly. 
  
Because we don't drink (okay, okay, I had 3 marguaritas, but that was IT), we weren't hanging out in the lounges. And we aren't night owls, so we didn't hit the clubs.  We found ourselves with a lot of down time, which, frankly, was perfect.  We wanted to relax.  Okay, onto the confession: 
  
We watched a lot of television. 
   
We don't have cable at home, so having a TV (with channels!) was a treat.  They had round-the-clock movies, CNN, and some network stuff.  Ahh, to lay around and do nothing!  It was nice, but I kept thinking, "Aren't we supposed to be doing something?".   
   
I was pretty homesick by the time Monday rolled around.  To wake up and be back in Fort Lauderdale--bliss!  The flights home were great and ON TIME! 
   
We had a great time, I'm so glad we went, but I have to say, I'm kind of glad that life can get back to normal now! 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)