Friday, August 1, 2008

Busy week ahead

Gearing up....

 

It feels like this last week has been busy, but I know I've had more time to stay home, too.  It's a conscious decision, what with how high gas prices are.  Yesterday, we were home all day.  Mount Laundry was tackled!

 

Tonight, the kids have their group at Cornerstone.  It's like a Bible study/game night for kids grades 3-6.  They haven't been in quite a few weeks.  I think I'll go to the grocery store while they're there.  We have a lot of special events over the next few days.

Tomorrow is Caroline's birthday party--the girls are invited.  Eli and I will probably finish up the grocery shopping--I'd like to try & do something fun with him, too.

Sunday, we have a church cookout to attend.  I going to make us a fruit salad, sandwiches, chips, drinks & cookies.  Yum.

Monday night is the last softball game of the season.  We'll have a cookout afterwards.  I'm making cookies (of course), kielbasa in the crockpot, and macaroni salad. 

Tuesday, we've been invited to a friends' home for a picnic lunch & swimming at the pond.  So I need to pack food for that.

Wednesday, my Uncle Michael and Aunt Julie will be up from Florida.  I told my mom that I would bring dessert, so I'm thinking of Apple Tartlets and Chocolate Heath Bar Trifle. 

 

I don't know about you, but when we have places to go, where I need to bring food, I always end up spending more on groceries, because I want to pack what I want to make, and that doesn't always coincide with what is in the pantry, kwim?   So I'm trying to be extra careful about where I shop, and honestly, most of the recipes I'm making are pretty inexpensive.

 

The macaroni salad I'm making for Monday night is a recipe of my mom's.  We call it orange macaroni salad, because you make it with macaroni & cheese--here, you can try it for yourself:

 

Cook one box of macaroni & cheese pasta.  Drain & rinse.  Mix in JUST the orange powder and 1/4 cup of "orange cheese" (I swear, this is what the recipe says--my mom always used cubed cheese, I think I'm going to used shredded).   When that is pretty well mixed, add 1/4 cup EACH of diced green pepper, chopped onion, chopped celery--then add mayo, salt & pepper to desired taste & consistency.

 

That's it.  It gets rave reviews.  Honest.  Would I lie to you? I'm quadrupling the recipe for Monday night.  I'm hoping for leftovers. :)

 

Oh, I made the best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip pancakes for the kids' dinner last night.  Definitely a keeper of a recipe.  I got it out of one of my Gooseberry Patch cookbooks--if you haven't checked out their catalog already, run, don't walk to www.gooseberrypatch.com .  Their stuff is fabulous!

 

I actually got a lot of housework done yesterday, so I'm feeling a bit lost this morning.  I'm up a lot earlier than usual (woke up before 6am)--I need to exercise, but I think I'll go work on my cross-stitch first.

 

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)