Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Story of the Day 1/3/12

Cranberry Christmas

I know, I know, Christmas is over.  But I meant to read this story to the kids over our break, and never got around to it.

We love the 'Cranberry' series by Wende and Harry Devlin.  The characters are hilarious, the illustrations are great, and the books are just a ton of fun.  And there's a recipe on the back!

I was lucky enough to find this book (I honestly can't remember if it was on Ebay or at a library sale or whatnot), because it's out of print and can be pretty pricey.

ABC Family even airs a Christmas special based on this book.  Be sure to check your local listings next year. (Of course, the book is always better!!!!)

Mr. Whiskers (a.k.a. Uriah Peabody) finds himself in a bind when not only can he not find the paperwork proving that he owns the pond that the children like to skate on--mean old Cyrus Grape insists that it's HIS pond and he hates children!!--but his sister is threatening to make him move in with her.....in the city!  But thanks to the help of Maggie and Grandmother, everything works out just fine. :)

I love that my kids really enjoyed listening to this story, even though they're getting so darned big!  And so, being the new year and all, I'm renewing my determination to read a picture book as many days as we're able.  Consider it a New Year's Resolution. :)  It's certainly a lot more fun than losing 20 lbs!


2 comments:

  1. cool! I didn't know there were more of these books...only knew about Cranberry Thanksgiving. I wanted to row Clown of God for Christmas, but I couldn't find it anywhere! Oh well...next year. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! There's a bunch, Cranberry Birthday, Cranberry Valentine's, Cranberry Easter, Cranberry Halloween, plus a bunch of 'Cranberryport' stories. :)

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)