Monday, March 5, 2012

Birthday Cake fun

My girl is 14 years old now.  Sigh.  Time is moving way too fast.

But while it's moving, we should enjoy cake. :)  We decided to make this cake that we found on the Family Fun website.


Yes, you're counting right--SIX layers.  Oy, the things I do for this girl.  I even had to buy a 6" cake pan.


Each layer had to be evened out--I used a bread knife to make slicing through the cake (relatively) easy.


A thin layer of frosting went in between each matching (2--6", 2--9", 2--10") set of cakes.


Yellow cake for the top & bottom!


Chocolate for the middle.

Each layer was frosted with a thin layer of white frosting, and then had to set in the fridge for 30 minutes.


Making each layer lopsided--yes, the cake is supposed to be crooked. (I think my father-in-law just thought I didn't know how to bake. LOL)


Maddie picked the color scheme--purple, white and yellow!


Because you have to cut the chilled cakes to give the cake it's lopsided look, some crumbs got into the frosting.  Grrr.  It was way more noticeable on the middle layer, that had white frosting over chocolate cake.   Oh well.


I piped frosting onto the bottom of each layer with my Pampered Chef Easy Accent Decorator.  That tool has seen me through a lot of birthdays.  It also meant that I didn't have to frost the bottom of each layer perfectly.  Oh, and--you frost the layers first, then stack them.  I used my PC Mega Lifter to move the cakes--it worked like a charm!


My PC Decorator Bottle Set did the trick for decorating the rest of the cake.  My yellow lines aren't as straight or perfectly curvy as I wanted--Maddie was making me laugh as she turned the plate for me!


Voila!  


Here's a better view of the topsy-turvy layers. Maddie loved the cake, and I'm just happy that it took a fraction of the time that last year's cake took! (I'm just realizing that I never blogged about that cake--I must have been too traumatized. LOL  I'll try to put something up about it soon!)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I think you did blog about that cake (the princess and the pea cake -- oy, vay was that ever a project!). You're a better mama than I am!

    Nice cake!

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)