So what did I decide to do? Deep clean my washing machine! (Isn't that what you do for fun?)
Yesterday, I started making a batch of homemade laundry detergent (different from what I've done before). I used the instructions here. My friend, Allison, told me about it, so why not give it a shot? I only took a few pictures, but I think I'm thrilled with the results (first load of wash using it is IN the washer as I type). The jars sat overnight:
This is what it looked like when I opened the first jar:
I used my immersion blender to whip the detergent (naughty, naughty detergent!).
This is what my pint jars looked like when I was done. I got 7.5 pints for roughly $4 (?) worth of ingredients. I'm assuming this will last us about 5 months--I'll be sure to come back and tell you when we run out.
I need to get a different measuring spoon (don't get me wrong, I love my PC one, but I want one with a long handle and without a sliding gauge).
But I thought to myself, "Self, why would you use this yummy looking (and smelling) detergent in your filthy washer?" And so I went here and here to see how I could clean the old washing machine. Our washer is in our (very old) basement, not in some pristine laundry room, so dust and dirt abound. Here are some before photos (don't judge me, please!) to give you and idea of what I was dealing with:
Here's my washer--note the pipe in the background. Sigh.
Oh my. *blush*
And I thought my clothes were getting clean...why?
The inside of the washer has that speckled print, for which I'm grateful--I can't imagine how much dirt that pattern is hiding.
Riddle me this: Why doesn't the bleach clean the bleach dispenser? I've never understood that.
I filled the washer and put 2 cups of white vinegar in, and let it soak for an hour. Then I let the washer finish the cycle.
I wiped it down--scrubbing the inside and the agitator (that's what the thing in the middle is, right?).
Then, I filled the washer again, and added 2 cups of bleach. While that was soaking for an hour, I gloved up and used the bleachy water to wipe down the outside of the washer.
Ooh, much better. (Although, looking at the picture, I missed a couple of spots...)
Look how shiny the outside is!
After the bleach--looking good!
While I was waiting for the washer to finish it's cycle, I looked online for instructions for cleaning the dryer lint filter.
WOW--what a difference! I can't wait to see if it dries more efficiently.
Sliding the lint filter back in.
Online instructions also told me how to take our bleach dispenser.
Hmmm, not perfect, but much better. I think I'll use an old toothbrush next time.
Ahhhhh---so much better. I have a profound sense of accomplishment today!
Ooo-la-lah! Viva la differance! WTG!
ReplyDelete