Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Just to keep it real

I post often about the goodies I bake. I figured today you could see that I'm not always Betty Crocker in the  kitchen.

Last week, I had to make a brownie pizza for a Pampered Chef show.  It's too hot to bake AT the show, so I made it ahead of time. 

How do you make a brownie pizza, you ask?  Well, you start by lining the pizza stone with parchment paper.  Theoretically, the brownie starts to bake quickly enough, and doesn't run off of the stone.



Okay, step one was easy enough.  My parchment isn't exactly in a circle, but good enough!

I dumped the brownie batter onto the paper, and spread it to the edge of the parchment.


Then into the oven it went!  

Within minutes, I could smell the burning.  AUGHHH.  Sure enough, drip, drip, drip, batter was rolling off of the stone.



(And yes, it kind of looks like a small animal pooped in my oven. Stop snickering)

We pulled the stone out of the oven, and shut the oven off.  I could tell there wouldn't be a way to salvage this.

Even after the stone was out of the oven, it kept oozing...


all over my stove top. Ugh!

After the oven cooled, I took out the racks and cleaned them.  Maddie cleaned out the actual oven.  She's kind of awesome like that.

(I said to stop laughing! I know it looks like poo!)


Thank God I tried this early enough in the day that I had time to re-do it.  Steve stopped at the store and bought more brownie mix, and THIS time, I didn't spread the batter once I poured it onto the paper.  THAT seems to be the trick because....


Voila!  A beautiful brownie pizza crust, ready to be topped at my show.

TIP: In order to "sauce" this pizza easily, flip the brownie and peel off the parchment--put your topping on THAT side.  If you try to put the topping on the actual top, it will flake and look awful.

Want the recipe we used? (No pictures of the finished product, I was working!)

Peanut Buster Pizza

  • 1 (19 7/8 ounce) box brownie mix
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 2 (1 5/8 ounce) packages peanut butter cups, chopped into small pieces
  • 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
  • bananas, peeled,thinly sliced
  • ounce semisweet chocolate
  • teaspoons butter or teaspoons margarine

Directions:

  1. 1
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. 2
    Prepare brownie mix according to package directions.
  3. 3
    Line a 15-inch round baking stone with a circle of parchment paper and spread brownie batter on top, leaving a 1 inch border around the edge (parchment is needed to keep batter from running off the stone- don't skip).
  4. 4
    Bake 20-25 minutes or until set, then remove from oven to cool completely.
  5. 5
    Mix together cream cheese, sugar, and peanut butter until creamy.
  6. 6
    Spread over cooled brownie crust, then sprinkle with nuts and chopped candy.
  7. 7
    Layer sliced bananas decoratively over the crust.
  8. 8
    Melt the semi-sweet chocolate and butter together in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes, then stir until smooth.
  9. 9
    Drizzle over pizza, slice into squares with a pizza cutter, and serve.


2 comments:

  1. Here hee heee. You shouldn't have said not to laugh. It is a relief to know you aren't perfect - I am just sorry this had to happen while you are feeling so crummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the "way that didn't work" ;~) but you gave me a great idea on how to make my favorite local treat! The little store down the road sells brownie whoopie pies. Nathaniel has tried making them and we can't get the brownie just right, but THIS might work!!

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)