Saturday, September 13, 2008

Week 2 of school is done!

Ah, two weeks done!  We're still working out some kinks in the system, but I'm feeling a bit more hopeful now.

Here's an update on how the kids are doing.

Eli is great.  He's really showing initiative in getting his work done during the day.  That's not to say that it gets done early, but he hits the books early, and doesn't complain (too much).  Other than the increased amount of writing, he seems to be handling the work load okay.  He had a good time at the first co-op meeting.

 

Maddie--ah, Maddie.  She struggling a bit more.  I've pulled her Science & Social Studies for the time being (after a great conversation and advice from another mom using our curriculum).  She's getting those subjects at our co-op, and she just needs some more time getting used to the curriculum.  Also, I'm having her do math drills on the computer for the time being.  I had to do this with Eli last year for a few months.  She just needs to bone up on her facts (and stop counting on her fingers!!!!).  She's enjoying her art class, but doesn't like the fact that we had to leave co-op early to get there on time.  I'm not sure if we'll sign her up for the second session.

 

Patience is, as usual, flying through her school work.  She's really upset that I said that I'm increasing her # of pages next week, but it only takes her 1.5 hours to do all of her work.  She can handle the extra pages.  She just doesn't want to.  But she's bored out of her skull waiting for the other kids to finish their work.  I don't need her to get ahead in math or English--I'll just up the pages in her other subjects. 

She loves gymnastics.  She had two classes.  She cannot do a cartwheel to save her life. :)  If she makes a lot of progress, I'll consider signing her up for a second session. 

 

The co-op....It wasn't exactly like I pictured, but like I said, the kids had a great time.  I hadn't expected to be put on a schedule to watch the little kids during one of the classes--I'm going to see if I can help in another class, and have a different mom stay with the little kids.  I would be more comfortable with that.  And it is unfortunate that we have to leave early during the Public Speaking/Writing class, but as I mentioned, we should be done with that when art is finished at the end of October.  Having to leave early means that I don't have any time to connect with the other moms, so email will have to do for now!

I need to call the church where the kids took Awana last year.  I think they're starting next Sunday, but they switched the night from Wednesday's to Sunday's.   Wednesday's worked for us, because Steve is in school, anyway, so we're not missing out on any family time, and I can't work that night (since he's in school!).  Sunday's is one of the few days that I can work this fall, and if the kids are in Awana, I'll really be pressed for time at my shows.  But I don't work every Sunday, so I feel badly telling the kids "no".  We'll see.  I have to confirm that they've definitely changed the day (they had a meeting about it last week), and then we'll make our decision.

 

All in all, the kids will have a lot more outside activities than they've had in previous years.  I'm hoping we can juggle everything.

1 comment:

  1. We have a lot more outside activities this year, too. It's all great stuff but it can get tiring. :-)


    Loved the peek into your new year!


    Ronette

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)