Thursday, February 12, 2009

Giving a different math book a shot

I blogged before about the problems I was having with Maddie's math (half old version Paces, half new version, and how to bridge the two), and I think I've come up with a solution.  I hope.

I think Maddie will do better learning as much as she can about ONE aspect of arithmetic as opposed to doing a little addition, a little subtraction, a little multiplication, a little division, a little fractions, etc., with each book building on what was learned in the last.

So, I ordered Computation Basics 3
Grades 1–3


Computation Basics, Book 3, Advanced Addition and Subtraction, contains 18 units, which cover 3- and 4-digit addition and subtraction of all types

Computation Basics 4
Grades 1–3


Computation Basics, Book 4, Multiplication and Review of Addition and Subtraction, contains 20 units, which cover the concept of multiplication, practice of basic facts, multiplication of 2- and 3-digit numbers by a 1-digit number, and multiplication by a 2-digit number. It also reviews addition, subtraction, and multiplication.



I'm hoping going through these books will get her up to speed, and then I'm considering using the Key to Fractions book.  We'll see.  EPS is only in Cambridge, so I'm hoping the books arrive soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)