Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A reminder of blessings

This past Sunday, our pastor gave a message about families.  About parental responsibilities.  About discipline.  It was an excellent message.

He read from I Samuel, chapter 1, where Hannah is just begging God for a baby.

As I sat there, with Eli next to me, I was reminded of a time when I, too, was begging God for a baby.

Many of you know the story of our daughter, Abigail.  I can remember so clearly, being on my knees next to our bed, after she died, sobbing and begging God to give us a healthy baby.  When I think of how painful those days were, I still cry.  Not because it hurts so much now, but I think I cry for the 21 year old me who was hurting so much.

And so, as I listened to the pastor's message, and remembered those days, I looked next to me.  And there was Eli.  Our answer to incoherent, grief-striken prayers.  My eyes just welled up.  I couldn't help it.  This boy is such a blessing to our family.  I can't imagine life without him.  And we are so, so grateful that he is in our lives.

3 comments:

  1. Forgot to enter the CAPTCHA cade, so this is try 2...
    Last Sunday I testified in church but couldn't tell my story about my babies without crying. I was determined to tell of the Lord's goodness with my 2 boys, but I wonder if I will ever be able to tell my story publicly without breaking down.
    The Lord is faithful.
    Sarah
    PS. Since HSB moved only 3 lines of each post appear in my google reader and I have to click over to read. I don't mind doing it, but it means I don't always get over the day you post (it is quicker to read in google!) Would you consider changing your settings to allow full publication to goole readers? Ta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how to change settings to allow full publications to google readers--if you tell me how, I'll do it for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, I think I figured it out. I'll try to post something a bit later--let me know if I did it right!

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)