Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Baby Guinea Pigs!

As I mentioned last week, Pumpkin had her two guinea pig pups last Tuesday.  She had them in the middle of the night, and there they were when the girls woke up. 


--


We had to separate Pumpkin and Cocoa (who is still pregnant) because Cocoa wasn't letting Pumpkin near the babies.  We tried putting Cocoa in Princess's cage, but she wasn't having any of that.  They started fighting. SO, off to the pet store I went, to buy a new cage.  Peace once again reigned in Guineapig-ville.


Here are a whole bunch of photos of the babies and a VERY pregnant Cocoa.


Day 1--the little guys (gals? We're not sure yet) had just been discovered.



The girls have named this one "Cloudy".



And this one is "Thumper".



So little, but born with all of their fur & eyes wide open.



Here's Cocoa banished to a tote until I could get the other cage.



And here in her new home. 



Just a few days later, the kids could take them out of the cage and play with them.  I'm amazed at how fast they're growing!



--



Speaking of growing, check out how fat Cocoa was just a few days ago:



And here she is tonight:



--



Poor mama.  She is so huge.  It's been 63 days since we adopted the guinea pigs, and their gestational period can last between 58-72 days.  So at the most she has 9 more days.  I don't how she'd do it though---she looks ready to pop!


Here's how big the pups are today.  They squeak to beat the band when they're separated from their mother, but they're gentle, and don't mind being held too much.


Playing follow-the-leader with mom:



A close up of Cloudy



And here's Thumper:



Aren't they cute?  Don't you just want to drive to Rhode Island and adopt one?  Please???


No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)