Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering

photo from msnbc 9/11/11


Ten years ago, I was a young mom.  Eli was one month shy of his 5th birthday, Maddie was 3 1/2, and Patience was almost 20 months old.  I'm sure the day started off like a regular day with little kids.  I don't remember having the tv on early in the morning--if I did, it was probably on PBS, Disney or Nickelodeon. 

I do remember that I took the kids on a walk to the library.  At the time, we were still living upstairs from my mom and dad, and the library was about a mile away.  We walked there often, and knew the librarians well. 

When we got to the library, it seemed empty.  The librarians were in a room that was used for story time, crowded around a television set.

I remember cracking a joke about how librarians want kids to read, but here they were, glued to a tv.  After this, my memory is a bit fuzzy.  I know that some of the librarians were crying.  I think I must have watched the tv with them for a few minutes, but then my only thought was to get the kids home.

I remember hurrying the kids, trying to get back to the house as quickly as possible. I don't remember if I talked to my mom or not, but I do know that I put the tv on in my apartment.

I don't remember if I saw the towers fall or not.  I might have.  I really don't remember.  But I do know that I was glued to the television for much of that day, whenever I had two minutes to watch.


flag at half-mast at Narragansett Beach


I remember trying to call Steve at work--he wasn't in any danger really, but not knowing what was actually happening, I was panicking--and being really upset when all circuits were busy.  He worked in the meat department of a grocery store about 45 minutes north of us, and once I could get him on the phone, we couldn't tie up the lines for very long.  It was a very long day until he got home.

I know that that was when I started to listen to talk radio, because it was a way to feel connected, to hear people's stories, to get the latest news.  

I remember watching a country music awards show months later, and Alan Jackson performing the song below for the first time.  It was so poignant--I remember tears running down my face.



We were very blessed to not lose anyone we knew on 9/11/01.  One of my childhood friends was in NYC, but she was okay. 

I'm so grateful for how our country pulled together in the days after the attacks.  And so very sad for everyone who lost a loved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)