Friday, October 17, 2008

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration--Today's field trip

Today we visited the NOAA ship Thomas Jefferson, docked in New London, CT.  We had a lovely drive down--it was a perfect fall morning.  Cool, crisp air that led to a warm, sunny afternoon.  Leaves wafting off of trees.  Sunlight streaming through gold, red, orange, yellow & green leaves.  Pefect. 


NOAA is under the headship of the Department of Commerce.  They do research about the conditions of the coastal waterways of the US.  The division, under a different name, was originally started during Thomas Jefferson's administration, hence the name of the boat.  It's under the Dept of Commerce, because even today, the shipping of goods is a big deal, and no one wants loads of merchandise sinking.    So they check out the dangerous areas, and make lots of charts.  All while being on a very cool ship.



Here are some of the pics, except one, which is probably going to be our Christmas card picture.  So you're just going to have to wait for that one! 



Here are the cannons at Fort Trumbull State Park




There's the ship!




It was pretty windy down by the water




A room with lots of smart people doing things that I really didn't understand...




The bridge




Lots of tempting buttons




Me & my Maddie-pie (she had to be bribed with a stick of gum to smile & look at the camera)




Now THIS is interesting!  The galley!  Sadly, I didn't see one Pampered Chef tool.




One of the launches that goes out to collect data




Eli!  Don't touch me!  (She really loves her brother.)




I mean it!




Aughhh!




Just walk away, Maddie.





I don't know what this blue shadow is, but here are the kids on the cannon.



We had a great time.  None of the kids was inspired to join the military, but I can keep working on them.   A big thanks to my friend, Laura, for setting this up!

7 comments:

  1. That looks like the GREATEST field trip *ever* ! my boys would have been in heaven.


    http://Jeneralities.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *know* I'll be getting one of those Christmas photos, right? :-)


    Looks like a great field trip!


    Ronette

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I *know* I will be getting one of hte Christmas photos, right? :-)


    Looks like a fantastic field trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, crud! Obviously, I forgot to sign my name the first time...and...I can't spell! LOL!! I tried to catch it before it went through. :-)


    Ronette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ronette! You kill me! I'm all excited--wow--3 comments on my blog in one morning, and they're all you! LOL Of course you'll be getting a Christmas card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow-that's a fantastic field trip!! Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish we could've gone, too.

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)