Sugar cookies are absolutely one of my favorite cookies, no matter what time of year. Truth be told, though, I'm just as happy with a drop sugar cookie, instead of doing all of the work to roll them out and decorate them. Maddie insisted, though, so we made cut-out cookies. :)
The recipe I use is one that I got off of a Wilton cookie cutter package years ago.
1 cup of butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 t. baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla and baking powder. Then add flour one cup at a time. Roll dough out to 1/8" thickness and cut out shapes. Bake at 400* for 6-8 minutes.
That's it--super simple.
Rolling out the dough
The girls did most of this, and honestly, at the end, it was Maddie plugging along. Something about roll-out cookies just wears me out. :)
Working together--man, I love these girls.
Being silly. :)
I see this and all I can think is, "Crap, we have to decorate all of these cookies!" LOL
But the decorating had to wait until the next day--we were just too tired. (It's exhausting watching Maddie do all of the work!)
I made a pretty easy icing:
8 cups powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla
1/4 cup milk
Mix, then add milk by the tablespoonful until icing is desired consistency.
(I also used a bit of corn syrup--I find that helps the icing to set up better.)
There were about 100 sugar cookies--we had to go with easy icing, rather than anything elaborate.
The girls played around a bit with the house-shaped cookies, but quickly realized it was going to take too long to try and make them all look different.
The girls had a great time--the decorating was actually the last part of the baking that we did, so it was nice to end with something fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment
C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)