What can I say? I get bored baking the same kind of cookies every year. I like to mix it up! This year? Wow, am I regretting that decision. It seems like every cookie I make this year is giving me fits. First the cookie press was giving me a hard time. Then those BRICKS of dough Monday night. Augh. And tonight is was the Lemon Drop Cookies that were just bound and determined to stick to the cookie sheet.
Make no mistake--these are seriously yummy treats, but I'm not sure they'll make the cut for next year.
First I had to zest a lemon and crush the lemon drops (wicked good candies--I'll totally be buying them again!).
I used my Pampered Chef Food Chopper to crush the lemon drops. For the most part it did a good job, but I kind of wish that I had a food processor to really pulverize them.
The dough was easy to work with, not too sticky or tough.
And here comes beef #1 with this recipe. It really should have said to use parchment paper. For most of the cookies we make, I do not need to. The first couple of batches (because I'm a slow learner) were a nightmare to get off of the cookie sheets.
Mmmm....now if I can just get them off of the sheet.....
Beef #2 is the fact that, even with the parchment paper, you really needed to let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a good 5 minutes before they would come off easily. (The recipe only says to cool them on the sheet for 2 minutes.) Not so much because they stuck to the parchment, but because the candy was melty, and kept sticking to the spatula and making the cookies rip. Once the candies cooled, they were MUCH easier to remove from the sheets. I didn't figure out this tip until I was more than 1/2 way done--hey, that's what happens when you bake at 10pm.
I think these will make a nice addition to the cookie trays--the flavor is wonderful. I managed to get just over 12 dozen usable cookies--quite a few ripped or broke. The kids have a nice ziploc baggie full of cookies to taste-test in the morning!
The cookie count is up to about 64 dozen. We have 8 more varieties to go!!
Beef #2 is the fact that, even with the parchment paper, you really needed to let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a good 5 minutes before they would come off easily. (The recipe only says to cool them on the sheet for 2 minutes.) Not so much because they stuck to the parchment, but because the candy was melty, and kept sticking to the spatula and making the cookies rip. Once the candies cooled, they were MUCH easier to remove from the sheets. I didn't figure out this tip until I was more than 1/2 way done--hey, that's what happens when you bake at 10pm.
I think these will make a nice addition to the cookie trays--the flavor is wonderful. I managed to get just over 12 dozen usable cookies--quite a few ripped or broke. The kids have a nice ziploc baggie full of cookies to taste-test in the morning!
The cookie count is up to about 64 dozen. We have 8 more varieties to go!!
I wonder if I've ever made these. They sound delicious. I need to have a Demarle party so you can get a Silpat. :)
ReplyDeleteOK now that I look at the recipe I'm sure I've made these. The book they come from is the cookbook I told you that I cannot find. It's my favorite cookie book of all time. (It has to be somewhere!!)
ReplyDeleteYes, you do! Or I have to have one. :) Was it a Taste of Home cookbook?
ReplyDelete