Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pastel de Tres Leches (Three-Milk Cake)

Today, I had a moment that every mother lives for.  "Mom, what are we making for tomorrow?"  

Tomorrow?  What was happening tomorrow? I wracked my brain, but came up with zilch.

"You know, Mom, the Spanish class Christmas party? We have to bring a Spanish recipe!!"

*horrified scream*

Ah, yes, I had a vague memory of the teacher mentioning that to us last week.  Right--I'll get right on that.
Sigh.

Fortuitously, I stumbled upon some Pampered Chef recipes---they used to publish a Spanish Season's Best Recipe Collection every season.  They did this for a few years, and the recipes are online.   I probably should have offered to have the kids help, but at this point, I was pressed for time (and patience), and picked one out myself.  Pastel de Tres Leches or Three-Milk Cake.

It was super easy to make, and it looks super yummy, if I do say so myself.  First, I baked a white cake mix in my (discontinued) Deep Dish Baker.



Once the cake was completely cooled, I used a bread knife to slice off the top of the cake.  I didn't get it completely even, but that's okay.


Then, I mixed sour cream, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and evaporated milk in a bowl.


I slowly poured the milk mixture over the cake, allowing it to soak in.




I didn't think it would all soak in, but it did!


Then, a quick layer of Cool Whip.  I love Cool Whip.


A sprinkling of cinnamon.


Oooh, fancy!


Just some chopped up almonds and Voila!  All done.


This was super simple to make--I hope the kids like it!

The Pampered Chef ®
Pastel de Tres Leches (Three-Milk Cake)
Recipe
 1 package (18.25 ounces) white cake mix 
 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk 
 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk 
 1 container (8 ounces) sour cream 
 1 teaspoon vanilla 
 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed 
 1/4 cup sliced natural almonds, coarsely chopped 
 1/4 teaspoon Korintje Cinnamon 
 1 strawberry (optional) 

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cake mix according to package directions using whole eggs in place of egg whites and omitting oil. Spray Deep Dish Baker with non-stick cooking spray. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.


  2. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine evaporated milk, condensed milk, sour cream and vanilla. Whisk until well blended using Stainless Steel Whisk. Using Serrated Bread Knife, remove crown from top of cake, creating a flat surface and exposing interior of cake. Slowly pour milk mixture evenly over cake; allowing mixture to soak completely into cake.


  3. Spread half of the whipped topping over cake using Large Spreader. Sprinkle surface lightly with cinnamon. Attach open-star tip to Easy Accent® Decorator; fill with remaining whipped topping. Pipe a decorative border over top of cake. Coarsely chop almonds using Food Chopper; sprinkle over border. If desired, garnish cake with a strawberry fan using Egg Slicer Plus®.
Yield: 16 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 290, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 60 mg, Carbohydrate 36 g, Protein 6 g, Sodium 270 mg, Fiber 0 g
Cook's Tip: To create a strawberry fan using the Egg Slicer Plus®, open the slicer and place the strawberry stem end down; slice most of the way through strawberry with the wires. Remove the strawberry from the wires and gently fan out the slices. 



3 comments:

  1. Fortuitously...words like this are the reason you cream me in Words with Friends...LOL

    Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortuitously has way too many letters to play that in Words with Friends! LOL Blame my dad for always using big words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but using words like that just proves you KNOW words. I need to learn more 2 and 3 letter words. Swearing off Scrabble about 25 years ago puts me at a serious disadvantage.

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, show me some love! I'm always so curious about who reads this blog--let me know! :)